Monday, February 9, 2015

Buying Love


           I have recently become deeply intrigued by the Old Testament story of Hosea and Gomer.  The reason eludes me. Perhaps it’s because I embody the phrase “hopeless romantic”, always rooting for the “happily-ever-after”, severely disappointed when it fails to occur.  Maybe it’s because I’m just as appalled as you are that God told Hosea to marry a prostitute. (Yep, it’s right there in Hosea chapter 1.) Most likely it’s because I am completely overwhelmed, totally astonished, and unendingly humbled by the epic tale of God’s intense love toward horrifically unworthy humanity.  

            Seriously, Hosea must have been just as appalled as us when God said, “Go marry a woman of whoredom.” (Hosea 1:2, paraphrase mine)  I wonder if Hosea did a double take.  Sort of a, “What!?!” Yet no matter how odd the command seemed, he does it.  He marries Gomer.  They have children together--and I’m starting my happily-ever-after dance--only to have Gomer throw it all away and return to her former lifestyle. What?!? What could she possibly be missing?  Insecurity? Uncertainty? I am deeply disappointed by her lack of staying power. I had hoped for more.

            As angry as I am that Gomer bolted, my pique is calmed and soothed by the beautiful response of Hosea. In spite of his anger, hurt, dismay, he does something worthy of residence in the great annals of romance. Working with divine inspiration on his side, he pulls out the most stunning response imaginable. Hosea goes out and buys her back.  You read that right.  He BOUGHT her back.  Amazing. Inspiring. The epitome of grand romance. But it’s the imagery that really catches my attention. 

            It takes a minute for it to fall in place, but I see it.  Israel is Gomer. They had strayed so far from God, continually playing fast and loose with grace.  They have no staying power.  They keep walking away. He could dump them, allow them to be eradicated, or annihilate them himself and create new people who would do exactly as they should.  But he doesn’t. He’s not even interested in doing that.  His love for those particular people is too intense, too overwhelming.  His longing for them is too deep.  His desire for them is too powerful for him to abandon them.  So he doesn’t. He keeps holding out an olive branch, hoping they’ll grab hold.  (Hosea 6:1, 14:1-7)

            The story echoes with familiarity. Deeply saddened, I realize that I too, am Gomer—not the prostitute, but the one who has no staying power. I am guilty of playing fast and loose with God. Filled with self-contempt, I admit that I deserve to reap the whirlwind (Hosea 8:7). I deserve to reap iniquity. (Hosea 10:13) Awestruck, I find that God has bought me back. In spite of what I deserve for past indiscretions, the enormous God of the universe has chosen to extend mercy.  He has chosen to love me freely. (Hosea 14:4) Suddenly, I am the leading lady in the greatest romance I will ever know.   

            Simple words fail to properly express how I feel about this revelation.  I deserve so much less.  I was a hot mess.  Yet God loved me so intensely that he chased me down, followed me into the dark alleys of my life, whispered love words in my ear, and sang a song of forgiveness so sweet it won my heart.  Unrestrained love cascaded over my broken soul, healed my self- inflicted wounds, and made me whole.  Mercy, grace, and the greatest love I’d ever known.  

How about you? Do you see yourself in Gomer? You should. Everyone is guilty of sin, of playing games, of turning aside for something so much less than what God has to offer. (Romans 3:23) You are no different. Like all of us, you are undeserving of his love, his grace, his redemption. Perhaps you have purposely opted out. Yet, in spite of your shenanigans, the great God of the Bible who created the world, turned water to wine, healed the leper, and gave sight to the blind is unfalteringly, unfathomably, unerringly in love with mankind.  No matter where you’ve been, what you’ve done, or how many times you’ve ditched your staying power.  You are the object of his desire, his deepest love, his greatest choice. 
           Need proof? See it at Calvary where your sins—that list of things that should count against you—are nailed to his cross and forever wiped away. (Colossians 2:13-14) Hear it in the words he whispers, “Come unto me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28)  Know it as you cast your road ravaged self on his mercy, bathe your bruised heart in his love, and recognize the undeniable truth that you are complete in him. (Colossians 2:10)  In an act of achingly intense love, Jesus chose to buy you back when no one else would have given a dime for your redemption.  Because he is enamored with you, you were worth everything he had.  And he gave it so that you could feel his love.

           Will you love him in return?
         

No comments:

Post a Comment