Wednesday, March 19, 2014

...And Just In Case You Missed It…


           I hope when you read this month’s blog post, you truly believed in the depths of your soul that Jesus loves you.  I hope you have spent the time between now and then resting in the knowledge of that love.  I hope the Devil has been trounced at his little game of whispering lies about how unlikely it is that Jesus loves you.  But just in case you didn’t believe it when you read it, or the glow has started to fade, I’d like to share with you the experience I had only a short time after I posted that blog.

            After posting, I decided to read the Crucifixion/Easter story as written in each of the Gospels.  Sort of a comparison so I didn’t miss anything. I started with Matthew 26.  I read about the woman who washed Jesus’ feet, about the disciples following Jesus’ commands to secure a place for Passover.  I read about the Passover supper and how Judas confirmed that he was the one who would betray Jesus.  I continued on through Peter’s indignant response that he would never deny Christ.  I followed them into the Garden of Gethsemane and went with Jesus as he begged the Father to find another form of redemption for mankind.  The disciples slept through it.  I heard the words of Jesus as he accepted God’s will for man’s redemption.  My stomach tied in knots.

            And then it happened.  A multitude led by Judas arrived on the scene.  They were carrying swords and spears as though expecting a horrendous fight. (As if they were any match for the Son of God should he choose to put up a fight!)  Judas came forward, called Jesus “Master”, and kissed him.  And just like that, the ultimate act of betrayal was done.

 In that moment, I hate Judas for what he is doing.  And though I’ve read them before, I am thoroughly startled by Jesus’ next words, “Friend, wherefore art thou come?” (Matthew 26:50 KJV) Seriously?  Friend?  It’s not like Jesus didn’t know why he was there.  He wasn’t caught off guard.  Would it not be more appropriate, more honest to yell “Traitor”?  Or better yet, strike him mute, or leprous, even just reduce his credibility. Doesn’t he deserve some sort of horrific punishment?  But no, out of a heart of unwavering love Jesus calls him “Friend”. 

            By this point, tears are flowing freely down my cheeks as I am completely overwhelmed by how much Jesus loves us.  When we have thrown propriety to the wind, tossed our integrity overboard, or smothered our conscience for the 9 millionth time, Jesus still looks at us with love and calls us “Friend”. How amazing is that!! 

            So there you have it, in case you missed it the first time…Jesus loves you.  Read the story in Matthew 26, see yourself in Judas’ spot, hear Jesus call you “Friend”, and know with abiding assurance…yes, Jesus loves you!!

2 comments:

  1. Very AMAZING --- thank you so much and we thank God for using you to share with us His divine love.
    Preacher's wife

    ReplyDelete