Wednesday, September 11, 2013

God’s Got This!


 
A few weeks ago, on Sunday morning, our pastor read II Chronicles 20.  God bless that man!  I hadn’t read Chronicles in quite some time, but as we read through the chapter the words of Jehoshaphat’s prayer in a time of unexpected trouble leapt off the page and indelibly inscribed themselves in the depths of my soul.  I know them.  I identify with them.  I could have penned them myself.  I pray them nearly every day.  He cried, “…neither know we what to do: but our eyes are upon thee.” (v. 12 KJV)

I am often clueless.  My children come to me with questions I can’t answer, problems I can’t immediately fix, fears I can’t easily assuage.  My mailbox spits out unexpected bills, my taxes come out five percent higher than I figured, and my doctor decides to run extra tests.  My friends and family need support that I may or may not be in a position to give. I am surrounded by things I can’t fix, change, or regulate.  My heart breaks. My worry queue grows.  I feel like I am losing the battle AND the war. 

And then I remember II Chronicles 20:12.  It is quickly becoming my lifeline.  I pray these words and the voices around me fade.  I find peace.  I trust God to take care of all these things.  I have proof that he will…ask Jehoshaphat and the Israelites. They weren’t facing a skirmish. They were facing a war. Not just one army steadily marched toward them, but several (v.1-2). They felt inadequate, ill-prepared.  They were clueless.  So they turned their eyes on God and discovered that the battle they were expecting wasn’t theirs to win or lose, but God’s (v.15).  All they had to do was keep their eyes on Him... And trust...And rest. They didn’t even have to fight. God had it all under control.

Chances are you identify with what’s written here.  Your soul is battered, your heart is scarred, your body exhausted with the constant barrage of things demanding your attention, your money, your time, your soul.  The truth is, you can’t fix everything.  You can’t help everyone.  You can’t make everything better.  You’ll lose yourself and your faith if you try.  I encourage you to turn to Jesus, let the voices around you fade, fasten your spiritual gaze unwaveringly on him, and genuinely pray, “I’m clueless on this, but my eyes are on you.” It doesn’t guarantee you’ll get your way.  It doesn’t assure you an instant miracle.  It doesn’t promise that you’ll understand the outcome. But it does mean you aren’t alone.  It means the resources aren’t tapped.  It means you can know peace-- peace springing from the knowledge that your faith resides with the God who refuses to let his people down.

I find courage in the fact that I am not the only one who is clueless.  I take refuge in the fact that turning my eyes on Jesus snaps my world into focus.  I find peace in the knowledge that I don’t have to know all the answers or outcomes because when I am clueless, confused, concerned, or cornered—God’s got this!  So, may we, like those who have gone before us, continually look “…unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;” (Hebrews 12:2 KJV) May we remember that our faith is not misplaced.  Our peace is not ill-gotten. Our circumstances are not a surprise to God and he already has the answer.  May we learn to stand still, eyes trained on Jesus, allow him to fight our battles, and triumphantly embrace the fact-- God’s got this! 

4 comments:

  1. You are so gifted with writing from your heart. I know it's because of the time you spend at the feet of Jesus. Thank you for sharing and opening our eyes to new insight of how God works within and through us. You are a blessing
    Grace, Peace and Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my thoughts and for your encouraging words. Blessings.

      Delete
  2. I love reading your blogs and seeing how the sweet Holy Spirit opens your heart to deeper insight of God's love, grace, faithfulness, and mercy.
    Thank you from one runaway daughter of God to another (:>
    Grace, Peace and Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading and spreading the word! God bless you! :-)

      Delete