Friday, April 19, 2013


Praying the Lord’s Prayer

Have you ever wondered what prompted the disciples to ask, “Lord, teach us to pray”? (Luke 11:1 KJV) Were they too distracted watching Jesus work that they couldn’t focus on how to talk to the Father? Did they sense complacency in their spirits because Jesus was physically present? Realizing that he would not always be with them physically, did they sense a need to prepare for the time when he wouldn’t be there? Whatever the reason, I’m glad they asked.  I’m even more thrilled with the answer they received—the epic words we know as “The Lord’s Prayer” (Luke 11:2-4, Matthew 6:9-13) are a phenomenal framework for daily devotion.

Even if the disciples weren’t distracted or complacent, I sometimes am.  I’m human. I get busy and harried.  I pray on the run. However, a couple months ago, I felt challenged to pray a personalized version of this prayer every day for 30 days. It changed my life.  It strengthened my soul.  Those 30 days were up over a month ago, and I find myself still turning to that model.   Everything I need for every day is wrapped up in this prayer.  Every day I followed the outline.  Every day I prayed the prayer.  Every day my soul grew stronger. Though my words were different daily, the progression was the same.

My Father in Heaven, your name is safety. The writer of Proverbs said that the name of the Lord is a strong tower and place of safety for the righteous (18:10).  Thank you for the safety you provide to those who follow you.  I am in awe of your care for me.    

Because your kingdom is where your will is done, I ask that you would establish your kingdom in my life.  Help me to be open to your will that you may work through me to prosper your kingdom in this world.

Father, you know what this day holds.  Please give me the strength to get through this day.  You know those of my friends and family who are facing obstacles today.  Please give them strength and courage to make it through this day, too.  Help us to trust you with each part of our day.

Lord, help me to have a loving and forgiving spirit toward others.  Make love and forgiveness my first response.  Do not let me harbor ill will. Help me to remember that I have needed forgiveness too and to offer it freely.  Help me to love others as you love them and to forgive as I would want to be forgiven. 

Please help me not to be tempted to sin today.  However, if I am, please grant me the spiritual fortitude to withstand temptation and be victorious. Deliver me from evil.

For all that you do in my life, for every opportunity I have to forward your kingdom, for every strength of soul and spirit you offer me today, the honor, glory and praise will always be yours. Amen.

So this month, I’m passing along the challenge—30 days of praying your own version of The Lord’s Prayer.  It’s simple. Begin by praising God, acknowledging his magnificence and reminding yourself of his ability to care for you. Unrestrictedly offer yourself to his service.  Acknowledge your humanity and humbly accept his help for that day. Ask that he fill you with his spirit and that his attributes will flow through you, touching others.  Be sure to give Satan his morning kick in the teeth by asking God to make you triumphant against temptation.  At any point, when you think of someone who may be struggling with something addressed in this prayer, mention them too.  And always end by giving the praise for any accomplishments to God because without his grace you’d be lost.  

I encourage you to keep a prayer journal and read over your prayers from time to time.  I hope that praying this prayer makes you more cognizant of God’s help, more willing to rely on him, and more triumphant against the messengers Satan sends to buffet you. Ultimately, I pray that you will feel yourself encouraged, strengthened, and more in love with Jesus as you pray in the manner he told us to model.  I promise your life will never be the same.  Live blessed!

 

**This idea came to me while taking a Bible class years ago, so I share credit for this segment with the teacher--my incredible earthly father.  Thanks, Daddy, for teaching a wonderful concept that has stuck even after all these years.  Perhaps someday we’ll write a book together!!

No comments:

Post a Comment